Monday, April 4, 2011

April already?

Taken Mar. 28th - still a lot of snow there.

My thoughts: Fort Collins, Colorado....Meridian Idaho...Hey, that is really close to Kim...Winnipeg, Manitoba....WHAT THE?! A temple in Winnipeg?! I was just as shocked as anyone. A temple is to be built in my mission. How many missionaries can say that a temple was announced for their mission while they were serving in it? That temple announcement was my greatest memory from General Conference.

I DO know where it will likely be built in Winnipeg. This is a great story. So 15 years or so ago a member gave the Church some land in his will. That land is a couple of acres, about 1 block by 2 or 3 blocks long, and on it now stands the Canada Winnipeg Mission Office. Well, back in the late 90s the Church was looking to put a temple in central Canada and that was the possible site in Winnipeg---they built the temple in Regina. So now its Winnipeg's turn, and that is the best guess as to where it will be, in western Winnipeg.

My first thoughts were: "Winnipeg? How can they possibly build a temple in Winnipeg when Manitoba only has one stake?!" Yup, that entire province has 1 stake, and even draws from a branch in Warroad, Minnesota and Kenora. Can one stake support a temple? Well, after those thoughts, I thought that this isn't my work, but the Lord's, and He will/can do many things to accomplish His work, and He knows what is best. So I thought of many things that can happen to ensure the growth and strengthening of the Winnipeg Stake to support a temple. No doubt the temple will be smaller, but its still a temple to the Lord!

So you ask about missionary work this past week? That is a great question. Its been a rough week as far as missionary WORK, but not for the reasons you are probably thinking of. Monday and Tuesday we were in Winnipeg for Zone Meeting (this week we head in for Zone Conference, there is a big difference), and from Wednesday through Sunday I have been rocked with a nasty, nasty bug. Before I go into that, we did get 4 lessons in and about 8 hours of tracting, but it was sparse...sparse but good. So that bug was some kind of flu that messed me up bigtime. It really did a number on my stomach and bladder. I was probably awake for 5 hours on Wednesday. I have never been drained of energy like that before. Sheesh! This illness or whatever it is seems to tease me by making me think its over and then slapping me in the face with something. Even with all this going on, I am grateful that this is the first time that I have been sick on my mission, and after this I beg that it is the LAST time I am sick on my mission. All is well now, if I am not completely over it, I am at least at the end of the tunnel, so you don't need to worry Mom, I survived.

As for the details of our WORK, it had missionary work's traditional ups and downs. Of course it had to, or it would not be missionary work. The quick low: our baptismal date didn't attend Conference, which really would have helped her find the answers she is looking for. The high: We have been working with an inactive man, Brett Eidman, who was baptized when he was 11 or so and was baptized for his girlfriend at the time, and has been inactive since. He has sure been coming along! Last week he came to church for the first time in 20+ years, and he has been referring us to people, and reading AND studying from the Book of Mormon. So this week we had an appointment for Saturday between Conference sessions and we called to confirm with him and he said, "I'm planning on it, how about we meet at the church and we can watch Conference right afterward?" ...........You don't get that much as a missionary......and Elder Morris and I looked at each other and had a long pause and then were like alright! So Brett came and had only read 1 chapter from 2 Nephi, but read it 8 times! He had a full page of notes he made! This all came from someone who really did not want to meet with us at first, and once he started reading the Book of Mormon he started to progress and get really excited about it and making connections here and there and telling us how this applies to life and after a lesson he sat back and said, "maybe I should come to church..." The power of the Book of Mormon!


A random shot in a log yard.

Conference really came at the perfect time for me because I felt like I was kind of just going through the motions kind-of-thing for a little while and that I needed to set some quality goals and refocus my thoughts and efforts on the work better. So I did. Conference was a great way to feel the Spirit and to get off to a good start. I would say that the "busyness of life" kind of derailed me. Let me explain: I just tried cramming all of this "good" stuff. I was on a dead sprint to finish Jesus the Christ (which I did, woot!), finish a few reading assignments I gave myself, catch up on missionary paperwork, then I got sick, and on and on. Just too busy! All of these things are great things, but it reemphasized the point of prioritizing and just taking everything in stride. So Conference was a wonderful RESET button.

Ya, way to go Ford! Dad, you will have to tell me more about this Ford Boss Mustang again! Was that the new 2012 Focus they surveyed? How did the Cruze fare? Please send me a picture or a poster or something of the new Charger because for 6 months I have not seen it and it is driving me CRAZY!

You mentioned doing some kitchen remodeling last week. Was that our kitchen? Is something happening?

I am really excited to hear about Raymond in Mike's next letter. He is saying that in its little town of 3800 people there is one stake and a number of wards and buildings and it looks like they are going to create another ward and building. Well Mike, I your cliffhanger in your last letter has me excited for you and Raymond. By the sound of it, that town may be the next city of Enoch, watch out. 3800 people in that city and a stake?! I-Falls has like 6000 and a tiny branch, and Winnipeg has over 650,000 and has 5 small wards. Sheesh that town is bustling!

I caught up on 7 weeks of the happenings of the self-proclaimed Tryonite Tribe. Sis. Tryon, I like your new phrase "pulling a Galbraith" describing those tears! I appreciate those throwbacks to the missionary up North too. My favorite story involves a doctor's appointment, coughing, and a Starbucks cup, she will know what I am talking about. That story has made my picture wall it was so good!

The best part of the Gospel is it is all true! Godspeed,

Love,
Elder Galbraith

No comments:

Post a Comment